Home made gift idea to help you save over the holidays
Posted November 2016 by NZCU Baywide
Cookies in a jar
Christmas is just around the corner and it's time to start thinking about gift ideas.
These days homemade gifts have become so rare that it’s a novelty to receive one. Cookies in a Jar are child-friendly, easy to make and they make perfect gifts for teachers, grandparents or Secret Santas. Plus, they won't break the budget!
Simply layer the dry ingredients in a jar, pop on the lid and add a pretty ribbon and label with the baking instructions for a gift guaranteed to please.
To assemble the jar:
- 1 x large mason jar (big enough to hold 4 cups)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 ¼ cups of M&Ms (or chocolate chips or raisins)
- 2 cups of sifted flour
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ¾ cups of brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp of baking powder
- Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Layer flour mixture, brown sugar, granulated sugar and M&Ms in jar. Pack firmly.
Include the following recipe alongside the jar:
- Empty jar of cookie mix into mixing bowl; blend thoroughly.
- Add 1/2 cup butter, softened, 1 beaten egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until completely blended.
- Roll into 1-inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on tray. Bake at 190 degrees until edges are lightly browned, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Cool on the tray for five minutes, then transfer to wire racks.